Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cool Runnings

I am starting to hibernate. The air is cooler, the nights are longer and I am starting to make preemptive and postemptive (?) excuses why I am not out running. Some of my best runs have happened when the mercury dips below 0 and I am layered up so well you cannot tell what or who I am. But this past week I had to concede that my duvet was holding me hostage...again.
I am not competitive. I am not speedy. And I'm not sure I ever will. I'm a social runner. I relish the thought that in the wee hours of the morn I can find a few, or several, like minded friends at our usual meeting spot. We all start together under the yellow glow of the lamppost and then, like taffy pulling, the group spreads apart as we head down the street. We all know the routes. Luckily, because sometimes my legs have to be my GPS as my brain has yet to kick into gear.
As I sit here musing about whether to take a sabbatical for the season, I think about this quip that I recently saw on Facebook (I'm still not on Facebook, but that is another post)

Patient: The problem is that obesity runs in my family.
Doctor: No, the problem is that no one runs in your family.


I guess it's time for me to embrace the season and "Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme!"
I WILL be there on Tuesday.

4 comments:

dkstewfam said...

Inspiring! There's something about those early morning hours that brings out the best in like minded friends. And later in the day when you think back to your run in darkness, you feel so accomplished!
You are a much needed addition to those early mornings!
Good luck tuesday!!!
Amy 1
Duvet 0

Mama Deb said...

No matter how hard it is to leave the cozy comforts of bed in the early hours, I can say my best moments come from running with some amazing friends. It has been the best therapy. I am only competitive with myself. Otherwise I show up in hopes that I have a chance to spend time with true quality women. You are one of them. See you Tuesday.

Kinsey said...

You're awesome! I love "my duvet was holding me hostage." I think I just might let my duvet hold me for a little while this afternoon. Happy running tomorrow!

Antonia said...

you rock :) hope i make it ;)