Thursday, February 11, 2010

letting your light shine

Okay, I realize that 2 posts in one day is..., well, miraculous and unheard of from me. But, I couldn't pass up this opportunity to open a forum for one of the biggest questions facing Canadians today.
Who will be the last torchbearer and light the Olympic cauldron?
It is certainly dividing a nation; one passionate about its hockey legends (should it be Wayne Gretzky?). Then there are some funny ideas (Bob and Doug Mackenzie, William Shatner...you know, the infamous Canadians that ALWAYS make the "who's who of Canadian icons"list). Several people want it to be Betty Fox, mom of the late great Terry. The sheer sentamentality of it all has won our vote here at ABDO house.
I am horrible at linking videos, but there is just one that everyone MUST see. I'll try. It's a great overview about who Terry was and what he accomplished in his short life. I totally realize that most people reading this know about him already, but this is for those of you who don't know him. Here's to gaining more knowledge, and just maybe, a new hero!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My vote goes to Nancy Greene for lighting the torch at the opening ceremonies, but I think it will be Wayne.

Tom

Lori B said...

Thanks for the link! I am hoping it's Betty Fox (or someone from Terry's family). If it turns out to be Gretzky, I will be disappointed!

finchesnest said...

Wow. I had no idea who Terry Fox was. He was absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing his inspirational story. (I also just figured out what ABDO stands for. I'm a little slow.)